This plug-in does two things:
- It adds the ability to associate extra information to users
- can be a variety of types: Text, Text Box, Option List or Toggle
- optionally each field can be editable by your users
- can be displayed in your theme (see Usermeta plug-in for details)
- Category access controls. Firstly there's an option in Userextra to
define the categories which are restricted (both visability and posting
rights). Then, on a per-user level you can modify:
- categories_allow - allow a previously denied category, for this user
- categories_deny - deny a normally allowed category, for this user
It provides three screens:
- Otions -> Userextra (main options window)
- Users -> Your Extended Profile (does not appear until some attributes exist)
- Manage -> Extended User Profiles
Your Extended Profile page
- Install Usermeta plug-in which this plug-in depends on. Remember to click on "Create/Update usermeta tables" when you do this (see its install instructions).
- Upload to your plugins folder, usually wp-content/plugins/
- Activate the plugin on the plugin screen
If you're installing this plug-in for category access control, then:
- Define the list of restricted categories in the options screen
- Go to Manage -> Extra User Data and for each user who should have access add the category(s), comma separated, in the "Allow these locked categories" field.
If you're installing this plug-in to have extra user attributes/fields, then:
- Choose a name for your field and a description and enter it in the options window.
- Choose a type and select it, and fill in "Options" as specified:
- Text is a normal text field. The Options specifies the width.
- Text Box is a textarea field. The Options indicates width, height.
- Toggle is a checkbox. The options indicate state: e.g. No, Yes.
- Option List is a drop-down. Place the options in a list, e.g. a,b,c.
- Optionally specify a default, which is used to automatically populate the user's extra profile.
- Edit each user in Manage -> Extra User Data, and/or
- Log-in as a user and go to Users -> Extended User Profiles
Category access control
- Works by filtering posts
- User level 10 is special and is never restricted
- Extended User Profile window won't appear for users unless attributes defined
This plug-in uses Usermeta. Usermeta provides the underlying ability to associate miscellaneous data with users (from a database point of view). Most people won't need to worry about Usermeta except that you need to install it first.
Copyright (c) 2005, 2006 James Ponder <firstname.lastname@example.org> Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies. THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND THE AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.